Recruitment of staff from open market in Pay Band-1 of Rs.25,200-20,200 having Grade Pay of Rs.1800/
Government of India (Bharat Sarkar)
Ministry of Railways (Rail Mantralaya)
New Delhi, dated 21.06.2016
The General Manager (P)
All Indian Railways/Production Units.
Sub: Recruitment of staff from open market in Pay Band-1 of Rs.25,200-20,200 having Grade Pay of Rs.1800/-.
Pursuant to amendment to Section 22 Sub-section (1) of the Apprentices Act, 1961, Board had constituted a Committee to formulate the policy for according preference to Course Completed Act Apprentices (CCAAs) in recruitment. The Committee has given its recommendation and accordingly, it has been decided by the Board that 20% of the vacancies in case of direct recruitment to posts/categories in Pay Band-1 of Rs.5,200-20,200 having Grade Pay of Rs.1800/- shall be filled giving preference to Course Completed Act Apprentices (CCAAs) trained in Railway establishments and possessing National Apprenticeship Certificate (NAC) granted by National Council of Vocational Training (NCVT). This will be in the nature of horizontal reservation as in the case of Persons with Disabilities (PWDs) and Ex-Servicemen. However, unlike in the case of PWDs, there will be no ‘carry forward’ of the unfilled vacancies, to be filled by this mechanism. In case of shortfall, the vacant slots shall be filled from others in the combined merit list. Guidelines are enclosed as Annexure.
Please acknowledge receipt.
(Hindi version will follow)
DA: As above
Annexure to letter No.E(NG)11/2016/RR-1/8 dated 21/06/2016
1. The preference to the Course Completed Act Apprentices (CCAAs) trained in Railway Establishments, as envisaged in the above letter, is in compliance of amendment to Section 22 of the Apprentices Act, 1961 which reads as under:-
12. In Section 22 of the Principal Act, for sub-section (1), the following sub section shall be substituted, namely:-
“(1) Every employer shall formulate its own policy for recruiting any apprentice who has completed the period of apprenticeship training in his establishment.”
The old provision, read as under:-
“Section 22: Offer and acceptance of employment:-
1. It shall not be obligatory on the part of the employer to offer any employment to any apprentice who has completed the period of his apprenticeship training in his establishment, nor shall it to be obligatory on the part of the apprentice to accept an employment under the employer.”
2. Preference by way of Horizontal Reservation envisaged in the above letter is distinct from Vertical Reservation provided to the SC, ST and OBC categories in recruitment. Horizontal reservation cuts across Vertical reservation and those selected against the quota under the horizontal reservation provided for CCAAs in terms of this letter have to be placed in the appropriate category in the reservation roster viz. SC/ST/OBC/UR depending upon the category to which they belong.
3. To illustrate, if the notified vacancies in an Employment Notice issued by an RRC are 1000, the total number of posts reserved under vertical reservation will be: SC =150; ST = 75; OBC 270, 505 unreserved and the vacancies for CCAAs will be 200 (for a 20% quota).
4. On conclusion of the written test, a combined merit list is to be prepared based on the marks as per extant procedure. The minimum qualifying marks shall continue to be as laid down in Board letter No. E(NG)II/96/RR-1/62 dated 18.07.2005.
5. To implement the Horizontal reservation by giving preference to CCAAs, the merit list is to be scrutinized and the first 200 CCAAs (for 20% horizontal reservation) plus an equal number of CCAAs as extra are to be called for PET. The provision of calling two times candidates for PET is as per Board’s letter No. E (NG) 11/2009/ RR-1/10/Pt. Dated 10.12.2014.
6. Those who qualify after PET will be considered as per merit against the 20% horizontal quota for CCAAs as notified.
7. In case of shortfall i.e when the CCAAs candidates to the extent of earmarked vacancies do not secure minimum qualifying marks and/or do not qualify in the PET, the difference of such CCAA vacancies, will be filled by other candidates in the normal merit list as per current instructions. There will be no carry forward of CCAA vacancies whatsoever.
8. The selected CCAAs should then be adjusted against the respective community viz. SC/ST/OBC/UR depending upon the category to which they belong.
9. The application form should have a column – “Whether Apprenticeship was completed in Railway establishment (Yes/No)”. For those filling it as ‘Yes,’ three more columns invariably shall also need to be filled by the candidate:-
(a) Railway Establishment in which apprenticeship done/completed
(b) Date of completion of such apprenticeship
(c) NCVT certificate No. and Date (*)
(*) There could be cases where the Apprenticeship has been completed, but the NCVT certificate is awaited. Such candidates can be allowed to apply, with the condition that in case they qualify for the Document Verification (DV), they will have to bring the original NCVT certificate at DV stage, failing which they shall stand disqualified.
Other columns like Name, Father’s Name, Educational Qualification, Date of Birth, Community, etc. should figure in the application form as usual.
10. While calling the shortlisted candidates for Document Verification, it must be mentioned that necessary Apprenticeship certificate should be produced in original.
11. The cut-off date given in the notification will also be the relevant cutoff date for completion of Apprenticeship. A candidate will be taken to have completed the Act Apprentice training, only if he has already appeared in NCVT examination, even though result may not have been declared by this date. NCVT certificate must be shown at DV stage else the candidate will stand disqualified for preference as CCAA.
12. The CCAAs trained in any Railway establishments will be eligible to apply against Employment Notification of any Zonal Railway irrespective of the establishment in which they have been trained subject to fulfilling other eligibility conditions. For example a candidate who has done Apprenticeship training in Gorakhpur Workshop can apply for vacancies notified by RRC/North Eastern Railway as well as RRC/Central Railway etc. and vice versa.