Incentive for promoting Small Family Norms among railway employees recommendations of the 5th CPC (RBE.No.180/99)
Government of India
Ministry of Railways
All Indian Railways & PUs
(As per standard mailing list)
Sub: Incentive for promoting Small Family Norms among railway employees recommendations of the 5th CPC.
According to the provisions contained in Board’s letter No.80/H(FW)/7/1 dated 7.2.1980, Railway employees who undergo sterilisation were entitled to a Special Increment in the form of Personal Pay not to be absorbed in future increases in pay. The rate of increment was equal to the amount of next increment due at the time of grant of the Incentive and was to remain fixed during the entire
2. Consequent upon the revision of pay scales with effect from January 1, 1986 based on the recommendations of the Fourth Central Pay Commission, orders were issued vide Board’s letter No.PC-IV/86/Increment/1 dated 9.3.1987 to the effect that the rate of Personal Pay shall be an amount equivalent to the lowest rate of increment in the revised pay scales corresponding to the pay scale of the post against which an individual had initially earned the Personal Pay for adopting small family norms in the pre-revised scales of pay.
3. The recommendations of the Fifth Central Pay Commission on Incentives for adopting small family norms contained in paragraphs 109.10 to 109.15 of their Report have been carefully considered by the Government. In partial modification of the provisions contained in this Ministry’s letter dated 7.2.1980, as amended from time to time, the President is now pleased to decide as follows :
(a) The Special increment presently admissible in the form of Personal Pay to the Railway employees who had undergone sterilisation prior to January 1, 1996 and were drawing pay in the pm-revised pay scales shall be revised so as to be equivalent to the lowest rate of increment applicable in the relevant revised scales of pay corresponding to the pay scale of the post against which the employee concerned had initially earned the Personal Pay in the applicable pre-revised scale of pay.
(b)Such of the Railway employees who had undergone sterilisation after January 1, 1996 and had opted to conic over to the revised scales of pay shall also be entitled to the Special Increment equal to the lowest rate of increment in the revised scales of pay applicable at the time of undergoing sterilisation.
(c)Employees who had opted to retain the pre-revised scales of the pay shall, however, be entitled to the ‘Special Increment’ only at the lowest rate of increment applicable in the relevant pre-revised scale of pay. This will be revised so as to correspond to the lowest rate of increment in the applicable revised pay scale only on their switching over to the revised scales.
(d) The Personal Pay shall henceforth be termed as “Family Planning Allowance”
(e) The Family Planning Allowance for adoption of small family norms shall be admissible in future only to those Railway employees with not more than two surviving children.
4. All other terms and conditions governing the grant of this Incentive shall continue to be applicable.
5. These orders will be effective from the date an employee draws pay in the revised scales of pay applicable in terms of the Railway Services (Revised Pay) Rules, 1997.
6. Hindi version is enclosed.
Director Pay Commission