ECHS Travelling allowances for Medical Treatment
Government Of India
Ministry Of Defence
(Department of ex-servicemen Welfare)
Room No.221, B Wing
Sena Bhavan, New Delhi
Dated: 7th August, 2018
The Chief of Army Staff
The Chief of Naval Staif
The Chief of Air Staif.
Subject: ECHS Travelling allowances for Medical Treatment.
With reference to Govt. of India, Ministry of Defence letter No.22(02)/ 11/US(WE)/D(Res) dated 10th May 2013, I am directed to convey the sanction of the President for regulating the admissibility/entitlement of TA of ECHS beneficiaries as appended below :
2. No DA is admissible for any move of ECHS member or their dependent/attendant for outstation treatment.
3.TA will only be admissible to ECHS beneficiaries on the following grounds :
(a) Travelling Allowance for onward and return journey undertaken for medical treatment is admissible to ECHS beneficiaries for treatment in another city, if such treatment is not available in the same city. Referral to outstation specialised centres will only be on the recommendations of an authorised service medical doctor or an ECHS medical doctor. The actual referral will have to be signed by the Officer In Charge (OIC) of the ECHS Polyclinic.
(b) Non availability of treatment in the city implies that there is no Service / Private empanelled hospital providing the required treatment in the town / city of Parent ECHS Polyclinic.
(c) Other city referrals and corresponding travelling allowance will be applicable only to the nearest Service /Private empanelled hospital where such medical treatment facility is available and not as per choice of the patient. Same is to be determined by service/ECHS medical doctor and authenticated by the OIC ECHS Polyclinic prior to resorting for such outstation referrals.
(d) The travelling allowance claim entitlement is indicated in subsequent paras.
Journey bv Rail
4. Amount admissible will be limited to rail fare as per entitled class as applicable at the time of retirement by shortest/main route, or actual expenditure, whichever is less. Original ticket(s) is / are to be attached jn support of expenditure alongwith the claim.
Journey by Civil Air
5. Reimbursement of air travel in emergency case will be considered an merits of individual case by the Ministry in consultation with MoD(Fin) provided the Medical Officer of Polyclinic or the Specialist at Service Hospital certifies in writing that the air travel was absolutely essential and that travel by other means i.e. by rail or road ete, would have definitely endangered the life of the patient or involved the risk of serious aggravation of the condition of the patient.
Journey by Road
6. Road journey by public bus/taxi/private car/ambulance can be performed between places not connected by rail or otherwise, at the discretion of the patient in the entitled class as applicable at the time of retirement by shortest / main route. The amount will be reimbursed based on certificate rendered by ECHS patient in support of the expenditure along with claim. Amount admissible will be restricted to rail fare as per entitled class as applicable at the time of retirement by shortest/main route or actual ex penditure whichever is less.
Journey by Sea or by River Steamer
7. The amount admissible will be limited to the steamer fare as per entitled class, as applicable at the time of retirement to the nearest port. However, if the journey is performed by Air, the amount will be restricted to steamer fare as per entitled class as applicable at the time of retirement to the nearest port or actual expenditure whichever is less.
Conveyance for Attendants
8. Conveyance is admissible for one attendant when accompanying a patient, provided escorting is considered essential by the medical authorities. The Service Medical Doctor or the ECHS Medical Doctor attending to the patient should certify, in writing, that it is unsafe for the patient to travel alone and an attendantlescort is necessary to accompany the patient, Entitlement of attendant for travelling allowance will be the same as applicable to the patient.
9. Reimbursement of Travelling Allowance to ,the kidney Donor in connection with the journeys undertaking for donation of kidney is admissible at the following rates :-
(a) If the Donor is a non-ECHS beneficiary :- Will be admissible at the rates applicable to the recipient ECHS beneficiary.
(b)If the Donor is another ECHS beneficiary :- Will be admissible at the rate applicable to the Donor.
10. Ambulance service authorised in polyelinics / Military Hospital may be utilised for patients when being referred to Service/Empanelled Hospital in the same city. However, if ambulance is not provided and Medical Authority (Medical Officer of Polyclinic or the Specialist at the Service Hospital) certifies In writing that conveyance of the patient by any other mode would definitely endanger the life of the patient or involve the risk of serious ageravation of his / her condition, expenditure incurred on engagement of Ambulance used to convey the patient will be reimbursed provided that the journey is undertaken within the same city.
11. Station Commanders, who reimburse claim, must ensure the following:
(a) Pay range for admitting travel class entitlement of patient will be the pay scale of primary member of ECHS at the time of retirement.
(b)Travel by public bus/private can/taxi/ambulance is admitted for reimbursement of expenditure restricted to entitled class of rail fare of primary member of ECHS, based on the certificate rendered by the ECHS patient and duly countersigned by Service Medical Doctor or the ECHS Medical Doctor attending that patient at destination.
(c)No TA admissible in case referred in the same city.
(d)No DA will be admissible under any circumstances.
(e) No advance is admissible for the journey.
(f) Reimbursement of air fare not permissible except in cases of emergency, as specified at paragraph No.5 and 7 above.
12. This supersedes Authorisation para 12 of “Procedure on payment and reimbursement for Medical Expenses” issued vide MoD letter No.24(8)/03/US(WE)/D(Res) dated 19 Dec. 2003.
13. This letter is effective from the date of issue.
14.This issues with the concurrence of Ministry of Defence (Finance/Pension) vide their U.O. No.32(18)2017/Fin/Pen Dated 16-7-2018
(A.K. Karn )
Under Secretary to the Govt. of India