Rs.10 lakh to GDS and Departmental employees of Department of Posts — clarification regarding extension of guidelines dated 01.06.2018
Government of India
Ministry of Communications
Department of Posts
Dak Bhawan, Sansad Marg
New Delhi — 110 001
17th November, 2020
1. CPMG of all Postal Circles
2. Chief General Manager (BD&M). Dak Bhawan
3. Chief General Manager (PLI), Chanakya Puri, New Delhi
4. Secretary(PSB). Dak Bhawan
5. Director, Rail Ahmad kidwai National Postal Academy, Ghaziabad 6. All Directors/Dy. Directors of Accounts (Postal)
7. Principal Director of Audit (Postal), Delhi-54
8. Addl. Director General, Army Postal Service Corps, APS Bhawan, Rao Tula Ram Marv_ Delhi Cantt.-10
9. Chief Engineer (HQ), Dak Bhawan
Subject: Provision of Rs.10 lakh to GDS and Departmental employees of Department of Posts to cover death due to Covid-19 while discharging official duties — clarification regarding extension of guidelines dated 01.06.2018 — reg.
I am directed to refer to this Directorate’s letter of even number dated 17.04.2020 whereby original guidelines for payment of compensation of Rs.10 lakh were extended to Departmental employees and GDS to cover death due to Covid-19 while discharging official duties. We have been receiving representations seeking clarification on the applicability of para 6 of the said Guidelines which bar claimant from claiming additional compensation’ from the Department.
2. The matter has been examined in detail and it is stated that guidelines dated 01.06.2018 were meant fir individuals other than the government employees and GDS i.e. persons engaged on contract or the private individuals whose death can be attributed to accidents related to works of the Department of Posts. However, in the exceptional circumstances, these guidelines were extended vide letter dated 17.04.2020 to the Departmental employees and GDS who succumb to Covid-19 in performance of their duties. Thus. para 6 of the Guidelines dated 01.06.2018 is not applicable in case of Departmental employees and GDS. Therefore, their wards/next of kin will continue to he eligible for all such benefits, as per the Rules, what would have been available to them otherwise.
(Tarun Mittal )
Assn. Director General (Pension)