Weightage for night duty – Recommendations of the IVth Pay Commission – Government’s decision thereon
Government of India
Ministry of Personnel, P.G. & Pensions
(Department of Personnel & Training)
New Delhi, the 4th Oct. 1989.
Subject:- Weightage for night duty – Recommendations of the IVth Pay Commission – regarding Government’s decision thereon.
The undersigned is directed to say that in Paragraph 26.13 of its report, the IVth Pay Commission has recommended, as below, on the above subject:
“Government employees eligible for grant of various allowances are given ‘Night Duty Allowance’ or weightage for hours of work performed during night. It has not been possible for Govt. to introduce a uniform system of weightage for ‘Night Duty’ because the requirements of each organization are different. Suggestions have been received for prescribing uniform standard for ‘Night Weightage’ and ‘night duty’ hours. Government may consider the advisability of having the entire matter examined as it has various aspects and implications. In the meantime Govt. may refix the rates of night duty allowance”.
2. In pursuance of the above recommendation, a Committee was constituted in the Deptt. of Personnel & Training associating representatives of the major employing Ministries/Departments, where the staff is required to perform night duty. After careful consideration of the Committee’s recommendations, the President is pleased to decide as follows:-
(i) Wherever the working hours have been arrived at after taking into account the night weightage factor, no further compensation may be admissible.
(ii) Night Duty may be defined as duty performed between 22.00 hours and 6.00 hours.
(iii) A uniform weightage of 10 minutes may be given for every hour of night duty performed.
(iv) The ceiling of pay for entitlement of Night Duty Allowance shall be Rs.2200/- per month. There will, however, be no ceiling for entitlement of Night Duty Allowance in respect of the officials who are at present getting this benefit as per existing criteria.
(v) Duty Allowance shall be computed as per the following formula:
(a) For continuous Night and intensive duty
|Rates calculated on the basis of current rates of pay including DA & CCA divided by the number of working hours in a month. For administrative convenience, the pay scales may be fitted into convenient slabs at the option of the Department.|
|(b) For intermittent and excluded Class III.||
2/3rd of the rate worked out under (a) above
(vi) Where in revising the pay scales of any category an improvement over replacement scale has been granted after taking into account night duty or where the night duty factor has already been taken into account for grant of any allowance such as Nursing Allowance, in the case of Nurses, no further compensation may be allowed for night duty.
3. The existing orders on the subject in so far as they relate to night duty should be deemed to have been modified accordingly.
4. In respect of employees of Deptt. of Telecommunications and Deptt. of Posts, separate orders will be issued by the Min. of Communications.
5. These orders shall come into force w.e.f. 1.1.1986.
6. In so far as persons serving the Indian Audit and Accounts Deptt. are concerned, these orders issue after consultation with the Comptroller and Auditor General of India.
7. Hindi version of these orders is enclosed.
(E. K. Sreedharan)
Under Secretary to the Govt. of India