MHRD Order – Revision of Pension/ family pension of Pre-01.01.2016 and Post 01.01.2016 retired employees of the IIAS Shimla
Government of India
Ministry of Human Resource Development
Department of Higher Education
Room No.519, ‘C’ — Wing
Shastri Bhawan, New Delhi
Dated: April 12th,2019
Indian Institute of Advanced Study,
Shimla – 171005
Subject: Revision of Pension/ family pension of Pre-01.01.2016 and Post 01.01.2016 retired employees of the Indian Institute of Advanced Study, Shimla – reg
I am directed to refer to the Government’s decision regarding provisions regulating pension including the revision of pension/ family pension of Pre-01.01.2016 retired employees of the Indian Institute of Advanced Study (IIAS), Shimla on the recommendations of 7th Central pay Commission issued vide Department of Pension and Pensioner’s Welfare O.M. No. 38/37/2016-P&PW(A) dated 04.08.2016, 12.05.2017, 06.07.2017, 18.07.2017 and 13.09.2017.
2. The DoP&PW (as per aforesaid OMs) has provided for following manner of revision of pension/ family pension:
As per 2nd formulation (recommended by 7th CPC), vide para — 4.1 of O.M. dated 04.08.2016, as follows:
For existing pensioners, who have retired before 01.01.2016 the revised pension/ family pension with effect from 01.01.2016 shall be determined by multiplying the exisiting pension/ family pension, as had been fixed at the time of implementation of 6th Central pay Commission (CPC) recommendations, by 2.57. The amount of revised pension/ family pension so arrived at shall be rounded off to next higher rupee.
As per lst formulation (recommended by 7th CPC), vide para — 4 of O.M. dated 12.05.2017, as follows:
The pension/ family pension w.e.f. 01.01.2016 may be revised by notionally fixing the pay of pensioners in the pay matrix recommended by the 7th CPC in the level corresponding to the pay in the pay scale/ pay band and grade pay at which pensioners retired/ died. This will be done by notional pay fixation under each intervening Pay Commission based on the Formula for revision of pay. While fixing pay on notional basis, the pay fixation formulae approved by the Government and other relevant instructions on the subject in force at the relevant time shall be strictly followed. 50% of the notional pay as on 01.01.2016 shall be the revised pension and 30% of this notional pay shall be the revised family pension w.e.f. 01.01.2016 as per the first formulation. In the case of family pensioners who were entitled to family pension at enhanced rate, the revised family pension shall be 50% of the notional pay as on 01.01.2016 and shall be payable till the period up to which family pension at enhanced rate is admissible as per rules. The amount of revised pension/family pension so arrived at shall be rounded off to next higher rupee.
3. The DoP&PW’s above mentioned OM dated 12.05.2017 vide para-5, further maintains that higher of the two Formulations i.e. the pension/family pension already revised in accordance with this Department’s OM No.38/37/2016-P&PW(A) (ii) dated 04.08.2016 or the revised pension/family pension as worked out in accordance with para 4 of OM dated 12.05.2017, shall be granted to pre-01.01.2016 pensioners as revised pension/family pension w.e.f. 01.01.2016. In cases where pension/family pension being paid w.e.f. 01.01.2016 in accordance with this Department’s OM No. 38/37/2016-P&PW(A) (ii) dated 04.08.2016 happens to be more than pension/family pension as worked out in accordance with para 4 of OM dated 12.05.2017, the pension/family pension already being paid shall be treated as revised pension/family pension w.e.f. 01.01.2016.
4. Accordingly, the Indian Institute of Advanced Study (HAS), Shimla may workout the pension/ family pension of its pre-01.01.2016 pensioners/ family pensioners as per the formulations discussed above read with other principles enunciated in Department of Pension and Pensioner’s Welfare’s O.M. No. 38/37/2016-P&PW(A) dated 12.05.2017 and 06.07.2017 and subsequent OMs dated 18.07.2017 & 13.09.2017.
5. In the case of those employees who retired/died before 01.01.1986, the pension may be worked out on lines with these concordance tables given in Department of Pension and Pensioner’s Welfare OM No. 38/37/2016-P&PW(A) dated 06.07.2017 based on their notional pay as on 01.01.1986, which was fixed in accordance with this Department’s OM No. 45/86/97-P&PW(D)(iii) dated 10.02.1998.
6. The revision of pension and pensionary benefits such as gratuity etc. to those pensioners who retired on or after 01.01.2016 shall be done as per Department of Pension and Pensioner’s Welfare O.M. No. 38/37/2016-P&PW(A) (i) dated 04.08.2016. The revision of pension and pensionary benefits such as gratuity etc. are to be made applicable to only those who are already covered with the schemes which are in accordance with the similar schemes for Central Government employees.
7. This order is applicable in only those cases where such pension schemes have already been adopted with prior approval of Government of India/ Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) and the benefits was applicable as per Sixth CPC.
8. In case the Institute has fixed the pension in a manner different from the above formulations, the same may have to be reworked by the Institute and necessary adjustment be made.
9. Any excess payment made on account of incorrect fixation of pension or any other excess payment made shall be adjusted/ recovered against the future payments due or otherwise to the beneficiary.
10. The Indian Institute of Advanced Study (IIAS), Shimla is hereby advised to review its user charges for increase in its internal revenue generation to take up a part of the pensionary burden.
11. This issues with the approval of the Integrated Finance Division vide its note Diary No. 1143 dated 02.04.2019.
12. Hindi Version will follow.
(Sanjay Kumar Singh)
Under Secretary to the Government of India