Travelling Allowance Rules – Implementation of the Sixth Central pay commission
Government of India
Ministry of Finance
Department of Expenditure
New Delhi, the 23rd September, 2008
Subject: Travelling Allowance Rules – Implementation of the Sixth Central pay commission
The undersigned is directed to say that in pursuance of the decisions taken by the Government on the recommendations of the Sixth Central Pay Commission relating to Travelling Allowance entitlements, sanction of the president is conveyed to the modifications in the Travelling Allowance Rules as set out in the Annexure to this Office Memorandum in so far as they apply to civilian employees of the Central Government separate orders will be issued by the Ministries of Defence and Railways in respect of their personnel.
The Grade pay for determining the TA/DA entitlement is as indicated in Central Civil Service (Revised pay) Rules 2008.
The term pay for the purpose of these orders refer to basic pay as defined in Rule 3(8) of Central Civil Services (Revised pay) Rules, 2008 and included the revised non-practicing allowance, if any, admissible in addition.
In respect of those employees who opt to continue in their pre-revised scales of pay, the corresponding Grade Pay of the pay scales of the post occupied on 1-1-2006 would determine the TA/DA entitlements under these orders. However, for determining the Composite Transfer Grant for such employees, the terms pay shall also include, in addition to the basic pay in the pre-revised Scales, stagnation increments, Dearness pay and NPA as per orders in force on 1/1/2006.
These orders shall take effect from 1st September, 2008. However, if the Travelling Allowance entitlements in terms of the revised entitlements now prescribed result in a lowering of the existing entitlements in the case of any individual, groups or classes of employees, the entitlements, particularly in respect of mode of travel, class of accommodation, etc. shall not be lowered they will instead continue to be governed by the earlier orders on the subject till such time as they become eligible, in the normal course, for the higher entitlements.
The claims submitted in respect of journey made on or after 1st September 2008. May be regulated in accordance with these orders.
It may be noted that no additional funds will be provided on account of revision in TA/Da entitlements. It may therefore be ensured that permission to official travel is given judiciously and restricted only to absolutely essential official requirements.
In so far as the persons serving in the India Audit & Accounts Department are concerned, these orders issue in consultation with the comptroller & Auditor general of India.
Hindi version will follow.
Joint Secretary to the Government of India.
Annexure to Ministry of Finance, Department of Expenditure O.M.No.19030/3/2008-E.IV dated 23rd September,2008.
In supersession of S.R.17 and G.O.I., M.F. No.10/2/98-IC & 19030/2/97 – E.IV dated 17/4/1998, the following provisions will be applicable with effect from 1.9.2008.
- Entitlements for Journeys on Tour
- Travel Entitlements within the Country
|Grade pay(1)||Travel Entitlements(2)|
|Officers drawing grade pay of Rs.10,000/- and above and those in pay scale of HAG + and above||Business/Club class by air/AC First class by train|
|Officers drawing grade pay of Rs.7600, Rs.8700 and Rs.8900||Economy class by air/AC First class by train|
|Officers drawing grade pay of Rs.5400 and Rs.6600||Economy class by air/AC II Tier class be train|
|Officers drawing grade pay of Rs.4200, Rs.4600 and Rs.4800||AC II Tier class by train|
|Officers drawing grade pay below Rs.4200||First Class/AC III Tier/AC Chair car by train|
The revised Travel entitlements are subject to following:
- In case of places not connected by rail, travel by AC bus for all those entitled to travel by AC II Tier and above by train and by Deluxe/ordinary bus for others is allowed.
- In case of road travel between places connected by rail, travel by any means of public transport is allowed provided the total fare does not exceed the train fare by the entitled class.
- Henceforth, all mileage points earned by Government employees on tickets purchased for official travel shall be utilized by the concerned department for other official travel by their officer will attract departmental action. This is to ensure that the benefits out of official travel, which is funded by the Government, should accrue to the Government.
- All Government servants all allowed to travel below their entitled class of travel.
- International Travel Entitlement.
- Cabinet secretary/secretary to G.O.I. and – First class
- Officers drawing grade pay – Business/Club
Of Rs.10,000 and above and those Class
In pay scale of HRG +
- Others – Economy Class
- Entitlement for journeys by sea or by River Steamer (SR.40)
(2)Officers drawing grade pay of Rs.5400/- and above and those in pay scales of HAG+ and aboveHighest Class.Officers drawing grade pay of Rs.4200, Rs.4600 and Rs.4800If there be two classes only on the steamer, the lower class.Officers drawing grade pay of Rs.2400 and Rs.2800If there be two classes only on the steamer, the lower class
If there be three classes, the middle or the second class
If there be four classes, the third class
Officers drawing grade pay less than Rs.2400/-The lowest class.
- Accommodation entitlements for travel between the mainland and the A&N Group of Islands and Lakshadweep Group of Island by ships operated by the shipping corporation of India Limited will be as follows:
(2)Officers drawing grade pay of Rs.5400 and above and those in pay scales of HAG + and aboveDeluxe ClassOfficers drawing grade pay of Rs.4200, Rs.4600 and Rs.4800First/A cabin classOfficers drawing grade pay of Rs.2400 and Rs.2800Second / B Cabin class.Officers drawing grade pay less than Rs.2400Bunk class.
- Mileage allowance for Journeys by Road:-
In supersession of S.R.46 and the Government of India’s Order thereunder, the grade pay ranges for travel by public/bus/auto/rickshaw/Scooter/Motor cycle, full taxi/own car is revised as indicated below:
- Officers drawing grade pay of Rs.10,00 and above and those in pay scales of HAG + and above
Actual fare by any type of public bus including air – conditioned bus.
At prescribed rates of AC Taxi when the journey is actually performed by AC Taxi
At prescribed rates for auto rickshaw for journeys by auto rickshaw, own scooter motor cycle, moped etc.,
- Officers drawing grade pay of Rs.5400, Rs.6600, Rs.7600, Rs.8700 and Rs.8900
Same as at (i) above with the exception that journeys by AC taxi will not be permissible
- Officers drawing grade pay of Rs.4200, Rs.4600 and Rs.4800
Same as at (ii) above.
- Officers drawing grade pay of Rs.2400 and above but less than Rs.4200
Actual fare by any type of public bus other than air-conditioned bus.
At prescribed rates for auto rickshaw for journeys by auto rickshaw/own scooter/motorcycle/moped etc.
- Officers drawing grade pay below Rs.2400
Actual fare by Ordinary public bus only
At prescribed rates for auto rickshaw/own scooter/motorcycle/moped etc
(b) Mileage allowance for road journeys shall be regulated at the following rates in places where no specific rates have been prescribed either by the Director of Transport of the concerned state or of the neighbouring states:
- For journeys performed in own car/taxi – Rs.16 per KM
- For journeys performed by auto rickshaw
Own scooter, etc – Rs.8 per Km
- The rate of Mileage Allowance for journeys on bicycle, on tour and transfer, is revised from 60 paise to Rs.1.20 per kilometre.
- Daily Allowance on Tour
|Grade Pay||Daily Allowance|
|Officers drawing grade pay of Rs.10,000/- and above and those in pay scales of HAG + and above||Reimbursement for Hotel accommodation/guest house of up-to Rs.5000 per day: reimbursement of AC taxi charges of up-to 50 Kms. For travel within the city and reimbursement of food bills not exceeding Rs.500 per day.|
|Officers drawing grade pay of Rs.7600 to Rs.8900||Reimbursement for hotel accommodation of up-to Rs.3000 per day: reimbursement of non-AC taxi charges of up-to 50 kms. Per diem for travel within the city and reimbursement of food bills not exceeding Rs.300 per day.|
|Officers drawing grade pay of Rs.5400 to Rs.6600||Reimbursement for Hotel accommodation of up-to Rs.1500 per day: reimbursement of taxi charges of up-to Rs.150 per diem for travel within the city and reimbursement of food bills not exceeding Rs,200 per day.|
|Officers drawing grade pay of Rs.4200 to 4800/-||Reimbursement for Hotel accommodation of up-to Rs.500 per day: reimbursement of travel charges of up-to Rs.100 per diem for travel within the city and reimbursement of food bills not exceeding Rs.150 per day.|
|Officers drawing grade pay of below Rs.4200/-||Reimbursement for hotel accommodation of up-to Rs.300 per day: reimbursement of travel charges of up-to Rs.50 per diem for travel within the city and reimbursement of food bills not exceeding Rs.100 per day.|
In case of stay/journey on Government ships, boats etc. or journey to remote places on foot/mules etc for scientific/data collection purposes in organization like FSI, Survey of India, GSI etc., daily allowance will be paid at rate equivalent to that provided for reimbursement of food bill. However, in this case, the amount will be sanctioned irrespective of the actual expenditure incurred on this account with the approval of the Head of Department/controlling officer. Fo journeys on foot, an allowance of Rs.5 per kilometre travelled on foot shall be payable additionally.
- A. on Transfer:-
- Accommodation and mileage Allowance Entitlements:
- Accommodation and mileage Allowance entitlements as prescribed at para 2 above, except for International Travel, for journey on tour by different modes will also be applicable in case of journeys on transfer The general conditions of admissibility prescribed in S.R.114 will, however, continue to be applicable.
- The provisions relating to small family norms as contained in para 4 (A) of Annexure to M/o Finance O.M.F.No.10/2/98-IC & F.No.19030/2/97-EIV dt. 17th April 1998, shall continue to be applicable.
- Transfer Grant and packing Allowance:
- The composite Transfer Grant shall be equal to one month’s pay, as defined in para 3 of this O.M. in case of transfer involving a change of station located at a distance of or more than 20 Km from each other.
- In cases of transfer to stations which are at a distance of less than 20 Kms from the old station and of transfer within the same city, one third of the composite transfer grant will be admissible, provided a change of residence is actually involved.
- At present, onl y one transfer grant is permitted if the transfer of husband and wife takes place within 6 months of each other from the same place to the same place. With effect from the date of implementation of these orders, in cases where the transfer take place within six months, but after 60 days of the transfer of the spouse, fifty percent of the transfer grant on transfer shall be allowed to the spouse transferred later. No transfer grant shall be admissible to the spouse transferred later, in case both the transfers are orders within 60 days. The existing provisions shall continue to be applicable in case of transfers after a period of six months or more. Other rules precluding transfer grant in case of transfer at own request or transfer other than in public interest, shall continue to apply unchanged in their case.
- Transportation of Personnel Effects:-
|Grade pay||By Train/Steamer||Rate per Km for transport by road (Rs.Per.Km)|
|Officers drawing grade pay of Rs.7600 and above and those in pay scale HAG+ and above||6000 kgs. By goods train/4 wheeler wagon/1 double container.||18.00 (Rs.o.30 per kg per Km)|
|Officers drawing grade pay of Rs.4200, Rs.4600, Rs.4800, Rs.5400 and Rs.6000||6000 Kgs. By goods Train/4 Wheeler wagon/1 single container.||18.00 (Rs.0.30 per kg per Km.)|
|Officers drawing grade pay of Rs.2800||3000 kgs.||9.00 (Rs.0.31 per kg per km)|
|Officers drawing grade pay below Rs.2800||1500 Kgs||4.60 (Rs.0.31 per Kg/per Kms)|
The rates for transporting the entitled weight by steamer will be equal to the prevailing rates prescribed by such transport in ships operated by shipping corporation of India.
- Transportation of Conveyance.
|Officers drawing grade pay of Rs.4200/- and above and those in pay scales of HAG+ and above||One motor car etc. or one motor cycle/scooter, or one horse|
|Officers drawing grade pay less than Rs.4200/-||One motorcycle/scooter/Moped, or one bicycle.|
- A. Entitlement of Retiring Employees.
- Transportation of Conveyance.
In partial modification of S.r.147, the expenditure on transportation of conveyance by government servants on their retirement shall be reimbursed without insisting on the requirement that the possession of the conveyance by them while in service at their last place of duty should have been in public interest.
- Lumpsum Transfer Grant and packing Allowance.
- The composite transfer grant equal to a month’s pay last drawn as defined in para 3 of this O.M., may be granted in the case of those employees who, on retirement, settle down at places other than the last station(s) of their duty located at a distance of or more than 20 Kms, The transfer incidentals and road mileage for journeys between the residence and the railway station/bus stand, etc., at the old and new station, presently admissible are subsumed in the composite transfer grant and will not be separately admissible.
- As in the case of serving employees, government servants who, on retirement, settle at the last station of duty itself or within a distance of less than 20 Kms may be paid one third of the composite transfer grant subject to the condition that a change of residence is actually involved.
- The TA/DA rates mentioned in para 2 D (b) and (c) (mileage for road journey by taxi/own car auto rickshaw/own scooter/bicycle etc.) Para (3) (all components of daily allowance on tour including rate of DA for journey on foot) and para 4(c) (rates of transportation of personal effects) of this Annexure, shall automatically increase by 25% whenever Dearness Allowance payable on the revised pay structure goes up by 50%.
MINISTRY OF FINANCE
(DEPTT. OF EXPENDITURE)