Proposed guidelines on issue of domicile/caste certificates to SC/ ST school students — regarding
Government of India
Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions
Department of Personnel and Training
Establishment (Reservation-I) Section
North Block, New Delhi
Dated November 20, 2015
Subject: Proposed guidelines on issue of domicile/caste certificates to SC/ ST school students — regarding
It is proposed to issue guidelines to State Governments/ Union Territories for institutionalization of the process of issue of domicile/caste certificates to SC/ST school students while they are in Class VIII. A copy of the draft guidelines is enclosed.
2. It is requested that the draft guidelines may be posted on the website of the Department for inviting comments/ suggestions from stake-holders. Comments/suggestions received upto 21.12.2015 will be considered before the guidelines are finalized.
Encl: As above
Deputy Secretary to the Government of India
Tel: 2309 3074
Draft Advisory/Guidelines to be issued to States/Union Territories on issue of Domicile/Caste Certificate to SC/ST students
• Government of India has been receiving representations, from time to time, regarding difficulties faced by Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribe candidates, in obtaining caste/domicile certificates, while applying for admission, posts and services under the Central Government.
• The Domicile/Residence Certificate is issued by the concerned authority of the State Government/Union Territory to prove that the person bearing the Certificate is a domicile/resident of the State/Union Territory by which the certificate is being issued.
• Such certificate is issued as proof of residence to avail Domicile/Resident quotas in educational institutions and in the State/Central Government services, as also in the case of jobs where preference to local residents is available as per government instructions from time to time.
• With a view to ease the difficulties faced by the SC/ST students in obtaining certificates, it is proposed that ” Caste Certificate” and the ” Residency (Domicile)” certificate may be issued to SC.and ST students, all over the country, when they are studying in Class VIII.
• The School Head/Head Master of the School in which the student is studying would get the necessary documents/papers filled up from the students studying in Class VIII.
• A window of two months in September/October or any other time frame decided by the concerned State Government/Union Territory may be allocated/decided for completing this exercise.
• The School Head/Principal will get the documents collected from all the SC and ST students and arrange to submit them to the relevant state government authority/revenue authorities for making the requisite certificates.
• The concerned revenue/state government authorities would scrutinise those documents and within a period of 30-60 days, would issue the certificates.
• If the certificate of any student is rejected, reasons will be provided and provision for one time appeal may be allowed by the state authorities.
• Once the certificate is made, it would be given to the students through the School authorities and would be kept with them for safe custody for availing the benefits/concessions and facilities available to the concerned category of students.
• It is understood that some states are already following this practice.
• The possibility may also be explored to indicate the Scheduled Caste/Scheduled Tribe status in the Birth certificate.
Signed copy Click here